From: Marko McLion <mclion@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] strange bogomips difference
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:54:15
1 Hi
2
3 We've recently purcased a new 2cpu server and installer gentoo on it. It's a
4 dual Athlon MP2800. All came smooth, but when the load of the server grew and
5 mysql got to 180 queries/sec it started to die (mysql daemon). We tried
6 everything, even the binary distribution from mysql.com and lowering the
7 maxconnections settings, but with no success... Then we've noticed that gcc
8 while compiling the last mysql sources died with a strange error, that says
9 in brief that there is a hardware error maybe... So we've checked the machine
10 (hardware) and found this:
11 -----------
12 $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
13 processor : 0
14 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
15 cpu family : 6
16 model : 10
17 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2800+
18 stepping : 0
19 cpu MHz : 2133.380
20 cache size : 512 KB
21 fdiv_bug : no
22 hlt_bug : no
23 f00f_bug : no
24 coma_bug : no
25 fpu : yes
26 fpu_exception : yes
27 cpuid level : 1
28 wp : yes
29 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
30 cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
31 bogomips : 4194.30
32
33 processor : 1
34 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
35 cpu family : 6
36 model : 10
37 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) MP
38 stepping : 0
39 cpu MHz : 2133.380
40 cache size : 512 KB
41 fdiv_bug : no
42 hlt_bug : no
43 f00f_bug : no
44 coma_bug : no
45 fpu : yes
46 fpu_exception : yes
47 cpuid level : 1
48 wp : yes
49 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
50 cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
51 bogomips : 4259.84
52
54
55 As you can see, the model name is displayed differently by the cpus and the
56 bogomips is different too.. Could be this the problem?
57
58 We've disasembled the server and to the naked eye the cpu-s look the same. It
59 is possible that there is so much difference? Or is it a software problem?
62 McLion