From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] FISH - FTP over SSH?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 00:05:50
1 On 11/4/06, Robert K. Day <rkd@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 04 November 2006 23:36, Lord Sauron wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > I've been setting up my webserver using Gentoo and so far it's been
6 > > really smooth. Then I remembered that it really helps to have FTP
7 > > (duh!)
10 > Who uploads stuff to this webserver? Just you?
11
12 And my development team, so it's sorta necessary that it be secure,
13 but a multi-user setup. We can't all log in as root 100% of the
14 time...
15
16 > > So I want to keep things secure (I've been working on that - I've been
17 > > taking the advice of the people at the Silicon Valley Linux User's
18 > > Group) and decided that this fish protocol (which I've been told is
19 > > FTP tunneled through SSH) is a good thing, and since I've already got
20 > > SSH working I decided it's be worth a shot.
21 >
22 > If you want secure copying, I'd look at sftp or scp, both part of the openssh
23 > package (iirc). They're command-line only, I think (there might be a UI
24 > client or kioslave for them) but they are secure.
25
26 Well, I just have to find a protocol, be it ftp, sftp, fish, or
27 whatever, and then they're on their own for finding something that
28 works. Mainly because they choose to use Windows. It's not my
29 problem if Windows doesn't do something. They know they can get a
30 free SuSE, Fedora Core 6, RHELD, SLED, Gentoo, Knoppix, Kubuntu,
31 Ubuntu, or anything else from me at any time.
32
33 > Also, just to clear it up, FISH isn't ftp-over-ssh (called secure FTP, which
34 > is also different from FTPS and SFTP). FISH only requires SSH, with no
35 > special server.
36 >
37 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Files_transferrer_over_shell_protocol
38 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SFTP
39 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTPS
40 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTP#FTP_over_SSH
41 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCP
42
43 Ah.. You can see how new I am at this. Thanks for your help - I'll be
44 sure to read those.
48 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
49 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
50 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
51 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
52 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
53 --
54 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list