From: Luca Longinotti <chtekk@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] virtual/qmail?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:07:55
1 Ben Munat wrote:
2 > I'm sorry, but I'm still confused... sometimes I'm so dense.
3 >
4 > In your previous email you said you didn't think I needed to reinstall
5 > qmail, but here you say just emerge mail-mta/qmail... um, and then you
6 > say all I need to do is emerge virtual/qmail.
7 >
8 > That sounds like two different things to emerge (though I expect it's
9 > not)... and I already have mail-mta/qmail-1.03-r16 installed.
10 >
11 > So,really all I want is to figure out how to make portage NOT tell me I
12 > need to install virtual/qmail-1.03... how do I do that?
13
14 But you _must_ actually install virtual/qmail-1.03 so that Portage will
15 stop complaining. Basically it goes like this:
16 recently, with GLEP37, virtuals were also made available as packages.
17 Before that there only was a virtuals file that specified what are the
18 possible packages that satisfy a virtual, and a package could actually
19 say "I am good for that virtual!" by using the PROVIDE line in the
20 ebuild, NOW with GLEP37 it was also added that a virtual can be a
21 package like any other, it just resides in the virtual/ category
22 (/usr/portage/virtual/). virtual/qmail is one of those, so Portage sees
23 it as a "real package", but it does nothing in itself, it just makes
24 sure you have SOMETHING installed that satisfies the requirement of
25 virtual/qmail, wich in your case is mail-mta/qmail, which you already
26 have installed on your system. So you don't have to reinstall
27 mail-mta/qmail (you already have it), and to make Portage stop
28 complaining, just emerge virtual/qmail as Portage wants.
31 Best regards,
32 Luca Longinotti aka CHTEKK
33
34 LongiTEKK Networks Admin: chtekk@×××××××××.com