From: Jeremy Brake <gentoolists@×××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] webmail software
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:20:12
1 I've also found Squirrelmail the most practical so far (despite a couple
2 of minor niggles with it)
3 I've tried Imp3 a couple of times so far, but had issues with it, and
4 got really annoyed at the lack of a folder list on the left (when I
5 managed to get it to find my sub-folders)
6 I know the latest version of Imp has included the folder lists, and
7 people are saying theres some speedups, which is great.. except its
8 masked.. and i'm not too comfortable installing untested web applications.
9 Has anyone done a decent (independant) review of the latest Imp code?
10 Could I feel safe installing it - from a security perspective?
11 Has anyone written a script or process for moving squirrelmail
12 preferences and addressbooks (stored in MySQL) to Imp3?
13
14 Seeing as anyone hasnt mentioned it yet.. DONT consider SQWebMail. I've
15 been forced to use it for certain mailboxes on a different server for
16 the last couple of years, and it really is awful. Your users will hate you.
17 Theres also IlohaMail, but i wasnt overly impressed with that - I cant
18 remember why. I've seen a few pretty webmail apps around, but most of
19 them are still so early in production I dont feel comfortable trying them.
20
21 Jeremy B
22
23 Jesse, Rich wrote:
24
25 >I had been using Squirrelmail for about two years and I decided I wanted
26 >a little more integration with a calendar and addressbook and a
27 >"prettier" or slightly more intuitive interface for my not-so-tecchie
28 >wife. And from a security standpoint, I require the wonderful ability
29 >of Squirrelmail (can't remember if it's a plugin) to ignore downloading
30 >external images, whose URLs can be encoded for spam lists. Well so far,
31 >I haven't found it.
32 >
33 >I've tried Horde IMP, eGroupware, MoreGroupware, and a couple other
34 >PHP-based ones and I prefer the speed and relative safety of
35 >Squirrelmail. After the rather heavy emerge of Horde and a config I
36 >couldn't find a way to integrate the addressbook with it's email. That
37 >would seem to be pretty important, so I'm thinking it's something I'm
38 >missing, but if something that necessary/basic is that difficult, it's a
39 >red flag to me.
40 >
41 >eGroupware's nice enough, but I don't like how it pulls external links
42 >in via e-mail. It's FeLaMiMail doesn't allow that, but that's also
43 >lacking some basic functionality (e.g. ability to move a message to
44 >another folder while viewing the message). And FeLaMiMail doesn't play
45 >nice with eG's built-in mail, at least with UW's IMAP and mbox (I'll
46 >stand by while I'm ripped on for that decision ;). Also, eG apparently
47 >requires "mbstring.func_overload = 7" in the php.ini, which breaks other
48 >PHP-based products I have, like Drupal.
49 >
50 >I installed MoreGroupware, but for the life of me can't recall even what
51 >it looks like. I seem to remember some addressbook integration issues
52 >or something, but don't quote me on that. I'm guessing I wasn't
53 >impressed...
54 >
55 >I'm probably going back to Squirrelmail if I can get it to talk with
56 >PostgreSQL properly (easier and more flexible setup, backup, and
57 >recovery than MySQL). In the meantime, I'd like to find another
58 >web-mail alternative, preferrably in PHP so I can fix/improve some minor
59 >things myself and because it's much "lighter" than Java (still haven't
60 >found any Java-based program worth the hassle other than maybe Azureus).
61 >I would like to try even something heavy like SuSE/Novell's OpenXchange,
62 >but am a little hesitant to try Tomcat on my li'l home server with only
63 >384MB of RAM...
64 >
65 >If you find something "better" than Squirrelmail, let us know!
66 >
67 >Rich
68 >
69 >-----Original Message-----
70 >From: xyon [mailto:xyon@×××××××××××.com]
71 >Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:43 AM
72 >To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
73 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] webmail software
76 >I agree (about "better"), I should've been a bit more descriptive.
77 >
78 >The only reason I haven't checked out horde-imp is there are so many
79 >dependencies for it. Is it worth loading all that PEAR stuff?
80 >
81 >Thanks for the suggestion!
87 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list