From: "Jesse
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] webmail software
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:27:01
1 I had been using Squirrelmail for about two years and I decided I wanted
2 a little more integration with a calendar and addressbook and a
3 "prettier" or slightly more intuitive interface for my not-so-tecchie
4 wife. And from a security standpoint, I require the wonderful ability
5 of Squirrelmail (can't remember if it's a plugin) to ignore downloading
6 external images, whose URLs can be encoded for spam lists. Well so far,
7 I haven't found it.
8
9 I've tried Horde IMP, eGroupware, MoreGroupware, and a couple other
10 PHP-based ones and I prefer the speed and relative safety of
11 Squirrelmail. After the rather heavy emerge of Horde and a config I
12 couldn't find a way to integrate the addressbook with it's email. That
13 would seem to be pretty important, so I'm thinking it's something I'm
14 missing, but if something that necessary/basic is that difficult, it's a
15 red flag to me.
16
17 eGroupware's nice enough, but I don't like how it pulls external links
18 in via e-mail. It's FeLaMiMail doesn't allow that, but that's also
19 lacking some basic functionality (e.g. ability to move a message to
20 another folder while viewing the message). And FeLaMiMail doesn't play
21 nice with eG's built-in mail, at least with UW's IMAP and mbox (I'll
22 stand by while I'm ripped on for that decision ;). Also, eG apparently
23 requires "mbstring.func_overload = 7" in the php.ini, which breaks other
24 PHP-based products I have, like Drupal.
25
26 I installed MoreGroupware, but for the life of me can't recall even what
27 it looks like. I seem to remember some addressbook integration issues
28 or something, but don't quote me on that. I'm guessing I wasn't
29 impressed...
30
31 I'm probably going back to Squirrelmail if I can get it to talk with
32 PostgreSQL properly (easier and more flexible setup, backup, and
33 recovery than MySQL). In the meantime, I'd like to find another
34 web-mail alternative, preferrably in PHP so I can fix/improve some minor
35 things myself and because it's much "lighter" than Java (still haven't
36 found any Java-based program worth the hassle other than maybe Azureus).
37 I would like to try even something heavy like SuSE/Novell's OpenXchange,
38 but am a little hesitant to try Tomcat on my li'l home server with only
39 384MB of RAM...
40
41 If you find something "better" than Squirrelmail, let us know!
42
43 Rich
44
45 -----Original Message-----
46 From: xyon [mailto:xyon@×××××××××××.com]
47 Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:43 AM
48 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
49 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] webmail software
52 I agree (about "better"), I should've been a bit more descriptive.
53
54 The only reason I haven't checked out horde-imp is there are so many
55 dependencies for it. Is it worth loading all that PEAR stuff?
56
57 Thanks for the suggestion!
60 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list