From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Advice for LDAP migration
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:11:13
1 On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:44, aechols@××××××××××××.edu wrote:
2 > It sounds like your setup is (or will be) nearly identical to ours or at least
3 > trying to achieve the same thing.
6 Ah, very good!
7
8 > Your structure looks fine in general, but I think nss_ldap wants it a certain
9 > way. Our setup looks like this
10 >
11 > dc=physics,dc=tamu,dc=edu
12 > ou=People
13 > (Users with uid as the RDN, contain posixAccount,
14 > sambaAccount, and shadowAccount)
15 > ou=Group
16 > (Groups with cn as the RDN, contain posixGroup)
17 > ou=Computers
18 > (Samba machine trust accounts, uid as the RDN, which is
19 > the hostname and a $ at the end, i.e. ATLAS$ for
20 > atlas.physics.tamu.edu, contain posixAccount and sambaAccount)
21 > ou=Hosts
22 > (Not using this one, but it can be used to replace the hosts
23 > file, contains ipHost)
26 Interesting. I shall experiment accordingly in due course.
27
28 > > Any insights or additional advice will be gratefully received as I would
29 > > like to get this just so before fully populating the directory and
30 > > attempting to configure nss_ldap and such :)
31 >
32 > In my experience, migrating user data was one of the worst parts of the whole
33 > thing. The smbldap-migration tools really didn't do the job right, and in the
34
35 Yes, the tools were useful in so far as gaining some insights into how
36 the data should manifest itself, but I would probably enter most of the
37 data from scratch in any case.
38
39 > Also, I should probably warn you that we've been having problems with some
40 > little bug somewhere that causes nscd to crash on occasion after we got all this
41 > set up. I have not been able to track it down because of the lack of debug
42 > information in the glibc libraries. Since I installed non-stripped glibc libs,
43 > it has stopped crashing, so I'm not sure what exactly was going on. (Yes, I
44 > tried rebuilding glibc without the debug first.)
45
46 I would never run a stripped glibc in any case - but thanks for the
47 heads up.
50 > Finally, there's the management issue. For a while I was doing it by hand using
51 > LDIF files, and then we got LDAP Administrator. It's simplified the process,
52 > but on the down side it's a Windows program. Currently we're developing a new
53 > website as a front end to the LDAP, with user administration for us, and
54 > personal information entry amond other things for the users.
57 I've been using a combination of phpldapadmin (now in portage) and gq to
58 do the trick. I find gq to be very nice as a general LDAP management
59 tool, and phpldapadmin is looking quite promising also - might be worth
60 investigating the templates that it provides. I believe it is quite
61 trivial to adapt them or create new ones. There is also something called
62 gosa (haven't tried, but the screenshots look nice).
63
64 > As bad as I've made it sound by now, I do think it has been worth the trouble.
65 > I still like it better than NIS. If you have any other questions or I left
66 > something out, let me know, I'll try to answer.
67
68 Much obliged, I will certainly take you up on that offer should I have
69 any further queries. To be honest, NIS isn't a huge issue here as the
70 clients consist mostely of Windows boxen but that doesn't deter me from
71 wanting to master the method :) The most important thing for me
72 initially is making it play with qmail (might move to postfix), samba,
73 courier-imap and several others. In any case, I shall see how I get on
74 over this week.
75
76 Regards,
77