From: Thomas Smith <tom@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Advice for LDAP migration
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:34:12
1 Kerin Millar wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:44, aechols@××××××××××××.edu wrote:
6 >>>Any insights or additional advice will be gratefully received as I would
7 >>>like to get this just so before fully populating the directory and
8 >>>attempting to configure nss_ldap and such :)
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>In my experience, migrating user data was one of the worst parts of the whole
12 >>thing. The smbldap-migration tools really didn't do the job right, and in the
15 >Yes, the tools were useful in so far as gaining some insights into how
16 >the data should manifest itself, but I would probably enter most of the
17 >data from scratch in any case.
18 >
19 Have you had a look at "migrationtools"? These tools allowed me to
20 easily move all of my system accounts into LDAP. You simply run the
21 script to export your account data (users, groups, shadow, and hosts) to
22 LDIF files and import the LDIF files into LDAP. Simply "emerge
23 migrationtools".
24
25 (I haven't dealt with moving SMB accounts (yet) as I'm just starting to
26 get into LDAP but there may also be similar from this package.)
27
28 >>Finally, there's the management issue. For a while I was doing it by hand using
29 >>LDIF files, and then we got LDAP Administrator. It's simplified the process,
30 >>but on the down side it's a Windows program. Currently we're developing a new
31 >>website as a front end to the LDAP, with user administration for us, and
32 >>personal information entry amond other things for the users.
33 >>
34 >I've been using a combination of phpldapadmin (now in portage) and gq to
35 >do the trick. I find gq to be very nice as a general LDAP management
36 >tool, and phpldapadmin is looking quite promising also - might be worth
37 >investigating the templates that it provides. I believe it is quite
38 >trivial to adapt them or create new ones. There is also something called
39 >gosa (haven't tried, but the screenshots look nice).
40 >
41 Yes, this package does look promising--I hadn't heard of it before. The
42 one I've been looking at is Directory Administrator. I believe it's
43 written in GTK--the authors have Gnome as a prerequisite for installation.
44
45 I have plans to evaluate Webmin, too, as I've heard it has a pretty nice
46 LDAP interface--plus you get the added bonus of the other administration
47 tools that are built into it.
48
49 >>As bad as I've made it sound by now, I do think it has been worth the trouble.
50 >>I still like it better than NIS. If you have any other questions or I left
51 >>something out, let me know, I'll try to answer.
54 >Much obliged, I will certainly take you up on that offer should I have
55 >any further queries. To be honest, NIS isn't a huge issue here as the
56 >clients consist mostely of Windows boxen but that doesn't deter me from
57 >wanting to master the method :) The most important thing for me
58 >initially is making it play with qmail (might move to postfix), samba,
59 >courier-imap and several others. In any case, I shall see how I get on
60 >over this week.
61 >
62 This is a bit off-topic but I was using qmail for production servers
63 (hosting many virtuals) and it works quite well. Problems arose when
64 some of our domains started receives *huge* amounts of spam. With qmail,
65 you're stuck aplying several patches to implement different types of
66 functionality--some creating more restrictive policies in and of
67 themselves (goodrcptto, for example, allows you to protect against
68 joe-job attacks but now you have to know /exactly/ which email address
69 to receive mail for--this doesn't work well for TMDA).
70
71 In either case, qmail was becoming more of a management nightmare in our
72 environment. We push a lot of email and deal with large numbers of
73 spammers. qmail has effectively limited our functionality and
74 effectiveness for stopping spam whereas Postfix has provided us with
75 /all/ the features (so far, anyway) to implement flexible spam stopping
76 policies with the lowest amount of administration.
77
78 Both qmail and Postfix support LDAP, though. I've not seen any howtos
79 for qmail but there's one for Postfix in their Documentation
80 section--this is intended, though, to support virtual domains. If you're
81 not doing virtual, you should simply be able to point Postfix at the
82 LDAP server and give it the context within which to search for email
83 accounts--this is my understanding from reading thePostfix READMEs. I'll
84 be setting this up in the next week or two and will have a much better
85 idea of the process afterwards.