From: "Spahn
To: "gentoo-server@l.g.o" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Questions about Server
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:56:47
1 Is this project about how to configure Gentoo as a server OS, or is it about creating a branch of Gentoo dedicated to being a server? In either case, I have some suggestions...
2
3 One of my pet peeves about emerging for a server-grade platform is that there is no way to truly separate the build/install process that is easy to track. I have read about the buildpkg and buildpkgonly options, but I don't like them because they are not geared toward a sys admin that has several machines that may need different packages emerged. In my ideal world, the emerge function could be run with a command switch, which would cause it to run the full emerge without installing, then with a simple command, list all the built packages that need to be 'installed'--- much like etc-update. Before I bring up any more suggestions, I would like to know more about the gentoo-server project's angle. Can someone point me in the right direction?
4
5 Thanks.
6
7 Dan