From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Questions about Server
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:21:14
1 On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:56:45 -0500
2 "Spahn, Daniel" <DSpahn@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Is this project about how to configure Gentoo as a server OS, or is
5 > it about creating a branch of Gentoo dedicated to being a server? In
6 > either case, I have some suggestions...
7
8 The former.
9
10 > One of my pet peeves about emerging for a server-grade platform is
11 > that there is no way to truly separate the build/install process that
12 > is easy to track. I have read about the buildpkg and buildpkgonly
13 > options, but I don't like them because they are not geared toward a
14 > sys admin that has several machines that may need different packages
15 > emerged. In my ideal world, the emerge function could be run with a
16 > command switch, which would cause it to run the full emerge without
17 > installing, then with a simple command, list all the built packages
18 > that need to be 'installed'--- much like etc-update. Before I bring
19 > up any more suggestions, I would like to know more about the
20 > gentoo-server project's angle. Can someone point me in the right
21 > direction?
22
23 First pointer I would give is not to hijack threads, start a new one.