From: Mark Schoonover <schoon@××××.com>
To: "'gentoo-server@l.g.o'" <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Backup Software (Long)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 03:37:53
1 <snip>
4 >Also, this is slightly off topic, but I figured it's a good
5 >time to ask.
6 >How do ya'll manage your storage? Do you use NAS', SANs', or direct
7 >attached storage?
8
9 My company just went through this over the last few months. Our old system
10 was a single server with 1TB of raid5... Mostly it worked very well - we
11 used an external backup server running W2K, Brightstor and an Exabyte 215A
12 library... For the most part this setup worked well, until we lost our
13 redundant power supply and it toasted a partition... Upon trying to restore
14 the 50 GB or so of data, it took over 26 hours to restore. Then we found
15 out, Brightstor did not like MySQL! It would backup the tables, but would
16 not restore them. After several days, we figured out there was a bug in one
17 of the patches, and upon reinstalling Brightstor from virgin CDs we were
18 able to get all the data back. Shortly after that, my boss told me to never
19 let this happen again, no matter the cost....
20
21 Took a look at Dell SANs - made by EMC... For what we need in disk space,
22 our initial quote came in at 65K! Needless to say, that was way out of the
23 park! So, I designed a poor mans SAN, AKA NAS... We purchased a Backup
24 Monster from Aberdeen -
25 http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/Stirling-X38sa.htm. The only changes we
26 made to it was to install a 2nd SATA card. With 8x250GB SATA cards, Gentoo,
27 we set up a raid0+1. HW raid handling the striping, and the OS handling the
28 mirroring... This NAS will be on its own private GB network. Add in the cost
29 of a 3Com 12 port GB switch to connect all the servers. This NAS will only
30 run samba/nfs, nothing else.
31
32 The front end servers will all be IBMs to handle LAMP, and various user
33 directories. Will also run Gentoo, Samba/nfs. This is our main
34 file/application server. A 2nd identical IBM will be set up as a hot spare
35 using heartbeat...
36
37 There's also a backup server running with an additional 1TB of disk space.
38 We take an rsync snapshot of all the servers every other hour. This system
39 has also been configured identically as the IBMs and the NAS. If all those
40 go down, this system can be brought online and start serving clients.
41 Needless to say, it won't be anywhere as fast as the other systems! This
42 backup system has the library attached so we can make offsite backups. The
43 primary backup is this backups server, and we use it to recover accidentally
44 deleted files, or any other problem that may happen to the NAS.
45
46 So, there you go. I know it's not as fast as a true SAN, but we've invested
47 maybe $15K to implement. We used to be a RH house, this was our first
48 project using Gentoo... I really think using Gentoo made our lives much
49 easier. I can't imagine trying to do this with RH. I know it can probably be
50 done, but it would have been much more work to accomplish the same thing.
51
52 HTH
53
54 .mark