From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software (Long)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:33:30
1 On 19:31 Mon 22 Mar , Mark Schoonover wrote:
2 >
3 > <snip>
6 > >Also, this is slightly off topic, but I figured it's a good
7 > >time to ask.
8 > >How do ya'll manage your storage? Do you use NAS', SANs', or direct
9 > >attached storage?
10
11 At the other end of the scale (the original poster has only 2 servers
12 with limited disk space) is "net-misc/rdiff-backup". I am backing up 5
13 machines (only about 40G) nightly to an 80G harddrive. Love it.
14
15 I have no offsite storage, but I would look at some sort of removable
16 HD solution if I needed that. Simple, fast. No tape rotations, I have
17 snapshots for the last thirty days, restores are simple enough a user
18 could do them. Even a full restore is easy using a livecd.
19
20 For ten years I listened to the horrors of restoring from tape (I'm
21 an instructor). At Digex, I saw tape run amok. Lots of tape, millions
22 of dollars, no real security, in my experience.
23
24 Where possible, I follow the KISS principle. That, to me, means
25 avoiding tape.
28 Bill Roberts