From: Kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] network load balancing
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:38:58
1 On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > Hey all --
4 >
5 > I'm trying to help a fellow gentoo developer solve a problem he's having.
6 > He is unable to get decent broadband speed where he lives and, for various
7 > reasons, needs to get faster upstream transfer speeds than he can
8 > currently. One thought was to get multiple slower lines and combine them.
9 >
10 > Any network load balancing solutions out there that might help? I've
11 > already checked:
12 >
13 > http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html
14 >
15 > But this won't help as it chooses a single route for each transfer. He
16 > needs to find a way to spread traffic across two (or more) links, even for
17 > a single file transfer (like an ISO). So, when transferring a single 1GB
18 > file, he needs a solution that will send packets across each available
19 > link.
20 >
21 > Any ideas/links/suggestions?
22
23 Normally you'd turn on ECMP, equal cost mutltipath under IP:
24 Advanced Router, which would allow you use multiple gateways efficiently.
25 Unfortunately this does not give you per-packet load balancing. Linux
26 creates a route based on src IP and dest IP and then picks a gateway and
27 tosses it into cache. Per-packet is bad anyway as you create a number of
28 problems with packets arriving out of order and most docs say you'll
29 actually lose speed. Per-connection would work, though I don't see a way
30 to do that under Linux. Also that doesn't sound like it'll solve your
31 problems either since you have one big connection.
32 This will likely be expensive, but you might be able to find a
33 provider who'd be willing to sell 2-4 connections and bind them together
34 on both sides. Since the head end is directly attached the usual per
35 packet problems go away, plus it appears as a single connection to the
36 local network. Problem is that you need more than you average dsl or cable
37 modem to make this this happen which also drives up the price.
38
39 kashani