From: Jeremy Kitchen <kitchen@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Web hosting for 75k+ users
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:59:50
1 On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 03:04, Gerhard Just Olsen wrote:
2 > well it's official. I (WorkTooMuch) is back in the computer biz
3 >
4 > I'm back at my old job now and among other things I'm going to sett up
5 > a webhosting solution for more then 75.000 e-mail user's spread over
6 > 40.000 businesses in the smb marked.
7 >
8 > So if anyone needs some free web hosting for a gentoo server related
9 > project the just send me an e-mail. I cant registrar any domains yet
10 > (only .no) but soon.
11 >
12 > Has anyone got any experience with a system of this size?
13
14 I've supported companies with that many mailboxes being handled by a
15 single machine. Albeit it was a pretty beefy machine, it handled the
16 load quite well. You could set up the mail server portion to be rock
17 solid with 3 machines, one nfs filestore and two frontend machines,
18 easily.
19
20 > Redundant web, dns and e-mail servers.
21
22 I got your email covered :)
23
24 > Should I use qmail or postfix and why?
25
26 qmail. It's faster, more secure, and easier to use than postfix, and
27 you're not losing sleep at night wondering if a new version is going to
28 be out the next day. You can patch in almost any feature you'd want,
29 most of the patches are well made, and the support (both free, and
30 commercial ;) community for qmail is excellent.
31
32 qmail is completely secure by design, and has a spotless security
33 history.
34
35 > What about antispam and antivirus? Any suggestions/experiences?
36
37 very common configuration is spamassassin/clamav/qmail-scanner. I do
38 not recommend doing content filtering as messages are passing into the
39 queue, only virus scanning. if you plan to use qmail with vpopmail, we
40 just recently added spamc support into vdelivermail, so you can tag
41 messages on delivery with the flick of a switch, with full support for
42 individual user preferences, etc.
43
44 > I have some experience using squirrel web mail. Any suggestions here?
45
46 squirrelmail and horde are both excellent.
49 Jeremy Kitchen
50 Systems Administrator
51 jeremy@××××××.com
52 Kitchen @ #qmail on EFNet - Join the party!