From: Rene Zbinden <rene.zbinden@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Strange Mailserver Problem with dynamic DN [Solved]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:03:35
1 You were right. Problem solved. Thanks.
2
3 Florian Sesser wrote:
4
5 >Hi,
6 >
7 >My first guess would be that your ISP, solnet, is blocking your port 25.
8 >
9 >Their MX can connect to yours because it is in 'their' network, but their
10 >firewall rules prohibit anything coming from their upstream provider to
11 >connect to their clients (maybe to prevent spam or what ever, maybe just
12 >for lameness).
13 >
14 >You could ask your provider for being unblocked (dumb idea when using a
15 >large ISP?). I don't know about your DynDNS provider, but if you really
16 >need a local MX you could switch to no-ip.com: they offer some service to
17 >get exactly around the problem you have, pretty cheap IIRC. I don't know
18 >how they implement this, i guess they set the DNS MX records to one of
19 >their servers and then forward them to some other port on your machine.
23 >>I am using DNS Made Easy (like DynDNS) to point my Domain to my dynamic
24 >>IP address. Now almost everthing works. I can send mails outside my
25 >>domain but when I want to send an email to myself something strange
26 >>happens:
27 >>When I send an Email from my ADSL provider (solnet.ch) then I can
28 >>receive the email. Here the postfix log:
32 >[... mucho log entrys only showing mail which is properly received ...]
35 >>But when I send a message from another account (bluewin.ch) then I NEVER
36 >>receive the mail and I get no error messages. It seems that those emails
37 >>go to nirvana without notification.
41 >i don't know about how mail servers react to ports being blocked. could be
42 >some/most/all really give up w/o notification. If Solnet *drops* packets
43 >to your port 25 this is probable. (someone correct me on this one if i'm
44 >wrong please?)
45 >
46 >HTH,
47 >