From: Florian Sesser <florian.sesser@×××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Strange Mailserver Problem with dynamic DN
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:46:33
1 Hi,
2
3 My first guess would be that your ISP, solnet, is blocking your port 25.
4
5 Their MX can connect to yours because it is in 'their' network, but their
6 firewall rules prohibit anything coming from their upstream provider to
7 connect to their clients (maybe to prevent spam or what ever, maybe just
8 for lameness).
9
10 You could ask your provider for being unblocked (dumb idea when using a
11 large ISP?). I don't know about your DynDNS provider, but if you really
12 need a local MX you could switch to no-ip.com: they offer some service to
13 get exactly around the problem you have, pretty cheap IIRC. I don't know
14 how they implement this, i guess they set the DNS MX records to one of
15 their servers and then forward them to some other port on your machine.
16
17 > I am using DNS Made Easy (like DynDNS) to point my Domain to my dynamic
18 > IP address. Now almost everthing works. I can send mails outside my
19 > domain but when I want to send an email to myself something strange
20 > happens:
21 > When I send an Email from my ADSL provider (solnet.ch) then I can
22 > receive the email. Here the postfix log:
23 >
24 [... mucho log entrys only showing mail which is properly received ...]
25 >
26 > But when I send a message from another account (bluewin.ch) then I NEVER
27 > receive the mail and I get no error messages. It seems that those emails
28 > go to nirvana without notification.
29
30 i don't know about how mail servers react to ports being blocked. could be
31 some/most/all really give up w/o notification. If Solnet *drops* packets
32 to your port 25 this is probable. (someone correct me on this one if i'm
33 wrong please?)
34
35 HTH,
36