From: Merritt Krakowitzer <merrittk@××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] kernel build best practices?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 07:57:35
1 >> Any wisdom for general kernel config, general server config and info on
2 >> kernel networking config greatly appreciated.
3
4 Generally I like to build a monolithic kernel (no modules) with only the
5 kernel settings i need (i dont think there is a great benifit in doing so
6 but i've done it this way for years so why change). The less you add to
7 the kernel the less likely things are going to go wrong, ofcourse some
8 settings you have to have :)
9
10 what exaclty you will compile into your kernel would be based on what your
11 requirements are, decide what you are going to need, and disable/enable on
12 that basis.
13
14 do you need ipv6, probably not.
15 do you need ipsec, probably not.
16 do you need netfilter, I would think so.
17 and so on and so on.
18
19 ofcourse if you have a lot of time on your hands you could build a number
20 of kernels and see which one performs better. Generally I like the
21 vanilla-sources as i've had problems with some of the others.
22
23 best of luck :)
26 Merritt Krakowitzer
30 Disclaimer Legal Notice:
31 By having opened and read this electronic mail, you are
32 deemed to have understood and accepted all disclaimers and
33 conditions pertaining to electronic mail emanating from and
34 received by the Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority,
35 further detail of which may be viewed at the following link:
36 http://www.sira-sa.co.za/disclaimer.htm