From: Martin Hajduch <martin.hajduch@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:39:54
1 >I personally don't like that idea and I'll give you a real-world example
2 >why. We have three web nodes atm. They all run the following software:
3 >
4 >AxKit 1.6.1
5 >libxslt 1.0.31
6 >libxml2 2.5.6
7 >
8 >That particular combination works. I know it works. It has worked for
9 >months. However, if I upgrade either libxslt to 1.0.33 or libxml2 to 2.5.8,
10 >Weird Stuff starts happening and my life quickly becomes unpleasant. I'm
11 >sure the issues are fixable, but the point is that even minor version bumps
12 >can cause serious problems with production systems. In my mind, that
13 >defeats the purpose of a stable/frozen tree.
16 well, but this looks like an example of 'why you can't have frozen tree
17 suitable for (almost) everyone'
18
19 above versions work for you
20 what if someone needs higher version of libxml or libxslt because of
21 cooperation with other products ?
22
23 i'm running apache1 on production servers, but also the latest versions
24 of ssl (0.9.7)/ssh
25 other people may want to run apache2 on their servers but use openssl
26 0.9.6 -> what then ?
27
28 currently, i'm doing updates manually, trying to 'freeze' most of the
29 software apart from couple of projects where i'm running either
30 not supported version (not supported by portage) or the bleeding edge
31
32 in my humble opinion, it would be better (for my purposes) to have more
33 'user friendly' way of configuring which packages and under which
34 circumstances i want to update (or get a notification about an important
35 update) when i do emerge -u world
36 some kind of configurable filtering with possibility to do
37 customizations also on per-package level
38
39 i really don't mind spending several days setting all these things up if
40 it means that the next 3 months or more i can just regularly do emerge
41 -u (or whatever else) to get all updates i need and skip the rest
42
43 in the fact, having such configuration possibilities, i call it
44 'customized portage profile'; the idea of 'frozen tree' or 'quarterly
45 updates' can be achieved by preconfigured profiles -> they will take
46 care of installing preselected version of packages
47
48 regards,
49 martin hajduch