From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:49:40
1 On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:39:41PM +0100 or thereabouts, Martin Hajduch wrote:
2 > above versions work for you
3 > what if someone needs higher version of libxml or libxslt because of
4 > cooperation with other products ?
5
6 They could either a) wait for the next update in X months or b) put it in
7 an overlay
8
9 > in my humble opinion, it would be better (for my purposes) to have more
10 > 'user friendly' way of configuring which packages and under which
11 > circumstances i want to update (or get a notification about an important
12 > update) when i do emerge -u world
13 > some kind of configurable filtering with possibility to do
14 > customizations also on per-package level
15
16 Can you elaborate on how you see this working? Not sure I understand.
17 Again, try to focus on requirements instead of implementation.
18
19 > i really don't mind spending several days setting all these things up if
20 > it means that the next 3 months or more i can just regularly do emerge
21 > -u (or whatever else) to get all updates i need and skip the rest
22 >
23 > in the fact, having such configuration possibilities, i call it
24 > 'customized portage profile'; the idea of 'frozen tree' or 'quarterly
25 > updates' can be achieved by preconfigured profiles -> they will take
26 > care of installing preselected version of packages
27
28 OK, but you can do this today with the features already in portage. You
29 can create your own custom profiles and nail specific versions of packages
30 while still allowing others to track against the tree. What additional
31 requirements do you have that aren't currently offered?
32
33 --kurt