From: Mike Kelly <pioto@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:45:16
1 On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:11:12 +0200
2 Christian Affolter <c.affolter@××××××××××××××.ch> wrote:
3
4 > As soon as the shadow chroot patch [2] from GLEP 27 [3] is
5 > implemented, we will be able to build striped down gentoo instances
6 > without any development dependencies (with the help of the emerge
7 > ROOT environment variable) in a sane and easy way.
8
9 > [2]
10 > http://soc.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/glep0027/patches/shadow-4.0.16-chroot.patch?rev=48&view=markup
11 > [3] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0027.html [4]
12
13 Hello,
14
15 Nice to be mentioned :-p
16
17 In regards to the shadow chroot patch, I'm poking at that bit by bit,
18 but I think that the upstream author is already considering doing
19 something similar to this. I've got a good idea of what needs to be
20 done when it is built w/o PAM, but when PAM comes into play, it gets
21 tricky.
22
23 In regards to the GLEP 27 stuff in general, I have a project which is
24 still at a fairly alpha level, but I would appreciate contributions of
25 auth system helper scripts for any and all architectures / userlands.
26 I've written up some documentation with some examples [1]. Also, I'd
27 appreciate folks who know packages well (like apache, etc) writing the
28 proper user/group data files for them (this format is also
29 documented[2]).
30
31 For those a little more curious about how this system will ultimately
32 integrate with portage and other package managers, you may wish to take
33 a look at my API specifications[3] (now with flow charts!). Or, for
34 those who are IRC-inclined, feel free to join me in #dynusers on
35 freenode.
36
37 I'll work on getting a more unified / up-to-date webpage[4] together
38 about his project later this week.
39
40 [1] http://www.pioto.org/~pioto/gentoo/soc2006/doc/auth_modules.html
41 [2] http://www.pioto.org/~pioto/gentoo/soc2006/doc/datafiles.html