From: Christian Affolter <c.affolter@××××××××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 16:16:49
1 Hi!
2
3 > just want to know abou this.
4 > does anyone use gentoo as production servers, like mail, dns, mysql,
5 > web,ntp ,etc..
6 Yes, our whole infrastructure is based on gentoo (firewall, mail, dns,
7 mysql, ldap, filer, backup etc.). Furthermore our setup is based on
8 linux vserver [1], which is an awesome project! This gives use great
9 flexibility and helps us to securely chain the different services with a
10 relative small amount of hardware.
11
12 > and how about cfengine server?
13 I'm not using it, but as far as I know there's a gentoo ebuild as well
14 as a portage integration for it. I think the gentoo core infrastructure
15 team is using cfengine.
16
17 As soon as the shadow chroot patch [2] from GLEP 27 [3] is implemented,
18 we will be able to build striped down gentoo instances without any
19 development dependencies (with the help of the emerge ROOT environment
20 variable) in a sane and easy way.
21
22 After that, I would like to implement a combination of radmind [4] and
23 subversion for our gentoo infrastructure.
26 If you're interested in gentoo (or any other OS/distribution) on
27 production server and you're going to manage more than 5-10 machines,
28 then you should think about building an "infrastructure" [5]. An
29 important part of your infrastructure, especially on a gentoo based one,
30 would be a build server or "gold server" which builds and provides
31 packages for your different end servers. Also consider to use a
32 versioning system at least for your config files.
33
34 Last but not least I really recommend you to have a test environment ;)
37 hope this helps.
40 regards,
41 Chris
44 [1] http://linux-vserver.org/ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/vserver-howto.xml