From: Dan Noe <dpn@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Mirroring configuration
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 01:26:02
1 On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 09:11:48PM -0400, xyon wrote:
2 > I currently use Unison every 30 minutes to copy over my Apache stuff,
3 > while MySQL is running on the backup box as a slave to the primary box,
4 > which works beautifully. Unison tends to really hog the CPU power of both
5 > boxes during sync, and root has to have unobstructed ssh (priv/pubkey)
6 > access from/to each box. This may not be the best way of doing things, but
7 > just an idea.
8
9 I use rsnapshot (rsync/hardlink scripts) to back up my main server.
10 Rsync can really be a memory hog. In this case it is the process of
11 building a file list that consumes a lot of memory.
12
13 You'll find that splitting up the sync job into several discrete
14 directories (IE, back up /usr /home/ /etc seperately) works well to
15 mitigate the huge memory usage.
16
17 -D
21 | Dan Noe, freelance hacker