From: Jonas Melian <jonasmg@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] livecd
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:42:34
1 > I don't see Vinque in portage.. any chance of submitting an ebuild? :)
2 I don't see any utility in creating an ebuild for Vinque.
3
4 Summary:
5 1) The people who want to use it, download Vinque Stage4, chroot and it,
6 and emerge new packages.
7
8 2) You have to copy minimal files in /mnt/vinque (chroot environment) to
9 run from live-cd the utilities that you has emerged. Some packages have
10 'minimal' flag, this can be very useful. Else, when i writes the
11 documentation I'll explain well
12
13 3) There'll be in portage a set of tools more avanced than the present
14 licecd-tools:
15 - To configure live systems. Use coldplug to detection
16 - To configure X. Use discover to get X module. Useful for anyone
17 - To configure localization. Use un xml file where can be added more
18 languages. Useful for anyone
19 - To build live-CD from vinque
20
21 > This sounds very promising!! :)
22 >
23 > As far as getting the LiveCD for Dummies to work, I have done all that on
24 > my home workstations, so will try to review what I've done to get it
25 > working and post it here if anyone's interested. I have not read through
26 > that thread for fixes, so some of them might be covered in there as well.
27 >
28 > I don't see Vinque in portage.. any chance of submitting an ebuild? :)
32 >>You could use Vinque. It's a live-cd based on gentoo of 28M only. This
33 >>version locales are configured to spanish. In the next, it's fixed. But
34 >>you could test it to see it in action.
35 >>
36 >>The version 1.0-RC1 is going to be released before April.
37 >>There will be a stage4 from you could install new packages. In that
38 >>stage there'll be /mnt/vinque that is live-cd content.
39 >>
40 >>So, you emerges a package and then you copy the necessary files to
41 >>/mnt/vinque/. There'll be a tool to rebuild the new cd.
42 >>
43 >>My idea was create a minimal base where people can install new packages
44 >>and so build mini-cds (50 M) to: mmedia, administration/security,
45 >>whatever, etc
46 >>
47 >>When the next version is out, i'll make the documentation
48 >>
49 >>http://www.vinque.org
52 >>>i need to create a very custom livecd for a firewall/router with some
53 >>>management tool. on the internet I only found "home" tools and howto.
54 >>>
55 >>>any suggestions?
56 >>
57 >>--