From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] linux-headers update?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:10:03
1 On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 22:00 +0200, Dark wrote:
2 > I know that this topic has probable been out-debated by now, and viewers
3 > of this mailing list, I can definently advice you to read the previous
4 > posts as well. But I still want to tell me story though.
5 >
6 > I just got a remote server (kernel 2.4) running today, and when updating
7 > portage and updating world I found out it was emergin linux-headers-2.6
8 > , which is very bad since I'm using that 2.4 kernel (for hardware
9 > reasons). So I quickly stopped it before it removed 2.4 (it had
10 > installed 2.6 by the time I found out).
11 > Masked linux-headers-2.6 and gentoo-sources-2.6 like this:
12 > Angel root # echo ">sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6" >>
13 > /etc/portage/package.mask
14 > Angel root # echo ">sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6" >>
15 > /etc/portage/package.mask
16 >
17 > I quickly removed linux-headers-2.6 from the system again, so nothing
18 > got confused later on.
19 > That being done I continued, onto updating the rest of world - meaning
20 > emergin glibc-2.3.4-20041102-r1 .
21 > This package failed sanity check of /lib/cpp which is generally a sign
22 > of bad linux headers (that is nice to know by the way).
23 > So after some time I tried to re-emerging linux-headers-2.4 just to see
24 > if that would make things work again:
25 > Angel root # emerge --ask --verbose --oneshot linux-headers
26 >
27 > And this made things work again.
28 > So, to all the readers that might have some problems with the
29 > linux-headers forcing themselves down on their system:
30 > make sure you have your /etc/portage/package.mask all tuned up for your
31 > system (or at least the two lines I put in mine).
32 > And, if the /lib/cpp fails , then try and re-emerging the linux-headers
33 > for your kernel (2.4 if you run a 2.4 kernel, and 2.6 if you run a 2.6
34 > kernel)
35 >
36 > I hope none of the readers read this mail and found it completely
37 > useless - it was ment to purely sum up using my story of horror to do so :-)
38 >
39 > /Jakob Rosenlund
40
41 Yuck. Sorry you had to experience that. I use 2.6 kernels, so I would
42 assume I'd be fine, but I'll definately be doing a full backup before
43 hand...
44
45 Anyone think that I wouldn't be fine?
48 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list