From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman <buanzo@××××××××××.ar>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:31:24
1 On Thursday 11 August 2005 13:15, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
2 > How long since the last time you checked out courier?
3
4 I only moved away within the last 6 months I think.... still use it on one of
5 my servers.
6
7 I know it does keep a cache in the mailbox, but my understanding is it's not
8 where near as sophisticated as Cyrus - but I'll accept I could well be wrong.
9
10 Also, does courier provide a sieve server? or even support server side
11 filtering of mail?
12
13 My requirements in my more advanced mail setup wrote of nearly all but Cyrus
14 IMAP server, so I know more about cyrus.
15
16 Looking at http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/features.html , there is no mention
17 of ACLs, but there is now shared folders I see. Digging briefly into the docs
18 it does support IDLE.
19
20 Here's a interesting quote though aobut courier and it's Maildir format.
21
22 "I have 500 MB of archived mail, with several folders with 15,000+ messages in
23 them. Trying to get this to work on a dual-AthlonMP 2200+ system with 2 GB of
24 RAM was not a lot of fun using Courier-IMAP and Maildir. It would take
25 upwards of 30 seconds to load a message index, and it could take even longer
26 to do operations on multiple messages."
27
28 "I installed Cyrus-IMAP on this same server, copied my messages over from one
29 setup to the other (using Kontact no less), and haven't had any problems
30 since. Folder indexing and access is in the sub 5 second range on my largest
31 folders (just under 20,000 messages to date), and doing operations on
32 multiple messages takes no time at all."
33
34 from http://dot.kde.org/1106909457/1106958472/
38 Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk