From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] ebuild for LAMP/Internet server
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:03:06
1 On Monday 13 June 2005 09:18 pm, Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
2 > Is there an ebuild that builds like a LAMP architecture for most popular
3 > applications on a Gentoo system?
4
5 I can see quite a bit of use for something like this, and I have been
6 wondering about something like this too. I have also been thinking a lot
7 lately about the possibility of Gentoo portage managing packages across
8 multiple hosts.
9
10 With this metapackage idea, it seems to me that it would be a pretty
11 incredible thing if I could emerge meta-packages where I might answer some
12 simple questions, such as this:
13 # emerge -meta lamp
14 Would you like:
15 A. MySQL
16 B. PostgreSQL
17
18 Or, I don't know, even a set of configuration files set in place to anwer
19 these questions for us. The USE variable seems to answer these questions,
20 but it may be a bit limited for the concept of metapackages.
21
22 I mention all of this because I have been working for months on implementing
23 an infrastructure such as the kind described on infrastructures.org. It
24 would be nice to be able to build a set of packages, on only a few terms.
25 Even further it would be even more productive to be able to build across
26 multiple hosts, multiple architectures, etc. We are moving into a day where
27 embedded systems are more available, imagine having 200 embedded controllers
28 you have Gentoo installed on, and you can execute one emerge command across
29 all of them (of course, tested in a non-production environment first...).
30 Or, likewise, modify the USE flags on all of them with a single push of
31 make.conf.
32
33 A few example metapackages might be:
34 ids: emerges snort, can run multiple sensors, can tie logging mechanisms into
35 external programs that may also be included (ie: prelude, and sguil for both
36 real-time and post analisys).
37 prelude: Network wide logging(securely), hids, nids, and may pull logs and
38 alerts from nagios, samhain, snort, etc. and provide a web frontend
39 authserver: ldap, sasl, heimdal, pam, samba-tng, squid, etc....
40 avgateway: clamav, pop3vscan, squid, frox, etc...
41 gentoo-postinstall-default: vixie-cron, metalog, sudo, vim, (if needed:
42 reiserfs, etc)...
43 windowing: xorg, gnome, kde, ati, etc.
44 themes: gentoo-artwork, kde-themes, icons, etc..
45 stage1: downloads tar, unpacks it, bootstraps, emerges system, etc. - I like
46 this one, imagine deploying 100 identical (but, multiplatform) workstations,
47 using one gentoo configuration.
48
49 Assuming that portage could work across multiple machines, we can define the
50 set of packages, the ways that these sets of packages can interconnect,
51 define which hosts, and define the incompatiblities, then it would not be too
52 daunting a task to supply the admin with a set of options that they can use
53 to implement an entire strategy in a day. As well, there would be use to me,
54 if I wanted to create my own metapackages through something similar to that
55 of the Gentoo portage.
56
57 I like the idea of one host to manage them all, and I love the idea of
58 stateful configuration. I also love what portage has done to computing (not
59 excluding "ports"), and I will obsess until I can see it all together.
60
61 Just a few thoughts; I wanted to hear others. Sorry for the lengthy post.
62
63 Robert Larson
66 Is your job running? You'd better go catch it!
67 --
68 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list