From: Andrew Fant <andrew.fant@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Oracle 9.2 installation
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:06:03
1 On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:02:25 +0200 William Delamore <wdelamore@××××.nl> wrote:
2
3 WD> Support wanted for Oracle on Gentoo
4 WD>
5 WD> Although not certified by Oracle we want to run our Oracle Enterprise
6 WD> Manager Database/server on Gentoo Linux.
7 WD> We have installed Oracle 9.2.0.1 succesfully twice on two different
8 WD> systems. These systems were build from Gentoo 1.4 rc4.
9 WD> The only modification we made was adding an extra flag in
10 WD> $ORACLE_HOME/ctx/lib/ins_ctx.mk
11 WD> Satisfied with the results (ie running databases) we prepared a bigger
12 WD> system for the real thing.
13 WD> This time Gentoo 1.4 was released and after upgrading the kernel (from
14 WD> 2.4.20 to 2.4.21) of little test systems we decided to use
15 WD> the newly downloaded 1.4 CD's. We did a stage 3 installation and
16 WD> prepared the system for the Oracle installation.
17 WD> Emerged lib-compat, adjusted semaphore and shared memory values, and
18 WD> then started the Universal installer with the newly created
19 WD> oracle user. So far so good.
20 WD> Install goes fine but in the linking part at 83% we get error (1):
21 WD> Error
22 WD> invoking target ioracle of makefile
23 WD> /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk.
24 WD> Ignored this then the error and then we get a similar error (2)with
25 WD> $ORACLE_HOME/ctx/lib/ins_ctx.mk. Tried the workaround by changing this
26 WD> file by adding
27 WD> a -ldl flag. But this time this does not work. Again ignored and error
28 WD>
29 WD> (1) occurs again. ..Ignored and the installer finished with the exit
30 WD> code of Linking succesfull :-\
31 WD>
32 WD> Created an iTAR at Oracle Metalink but they will not help. Cased
33 WD> closed.
34 WD> We use the kernel 2.4.21 (vanilla-sources) and glibc 2.3.2-r1. Does
35 WD> anybody know what has been changed in 1.4 compared to 1.4_rc4 ?
36 WD> Our little test system based on 1.4_rc4 is now on the same level as a
37 WD> basic 1.4 system and the Oracle database still runs there.
38 WD> However did not try to relink all.
39 WD>
40 WD>
41 Have you got a listing of the ebuilds of what you have installed on your
42 rc4 installed? If it were my server, I would start with a rev by rev
43 comparison of each ebuild. There was probably at least a glibc upgrade
44 during that time frame, and all sorts of other library issues.
45
46 Andy Fant
47 Tufts University