From: maximilian sichart <maximilian@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Sata controller for a backupserver!
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:30:13
1 Marcus Andersson wrote:
2
3 >I have now looked a little at the 3ware-cards but of what I can find
4 >they only makes raidcards and I only wanted a controllercard to get the
5 >possebillity to attach more discs but I want to handle the raid myself
6 >with software raid.
9 software raid is a thing you should not do..
10
11 >If I am mistaken then please correct me.
12 >
13 >The reasons for handling the taid myself is first of all a
14 >money-issue... and the second reason is that I like the feeling
15 >(illusioned or real) that I am in controle... I had som bad history with
16 >a ide-raidcard
17 >
18 cheap ide raid cards and real raid controllers like the IBM and Adaptec
19 have nothing to do with each other.
20 a good hardware raidcontroller should be the best thing in a production
21 server.
22 i would not trust any cheap sata or ide controller.
23
24 >so now I do software-raid on all my servers and I'm
25 >really happy with it.
26 >
27 >Thanks
28 >/marcus