From: Timo Veith <tv@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] "restart daemon" notification
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:24:36
1 Am Freitag 03 Juni 2005 04:06 schrieb Anthony Gorecki:
2 > Why not just hook Portage's emerge process? The hook could be
3 > configured to automatically restart the associated init.d files of any
4 > emerged package. As to the libraries, `equery d PACKAGE` could be used
5 > to see which programs need to be restarted.
6 >
7 > I have the same interest in automatic restarts; if I ever find the
8 > time, I'm planning to implement something similar to the above
9 > described process.
12 Automatic restarts of daemons is not good I think. At least not as long as
13 the config files of the daemons which would be restarted are checked for
14 consistency with the newer version. I would always do this manually, so I
15 can step in if something bad happens.
16
17 As far as the libraries are concerned a restart of a depending daemon
18 could happen automatically. It's config files wouldn't have changed. Also
19 it is not likely that a restart would fail. If you stay away from ~arch
20 at least. :)
21
22 Initially I wrote about a notification. Maybe equery d PACKAGE and lsof |
23 grep DEL are a good start for watching what happens after an update.
24
25 Thanks for your replies.
26
27 Timo