From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:13:50
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Ian P. Christian wrote:
2
3 > It's not to do with mail size, it's to do with number of messages in any one
4 > mailbox. The file system underlying it will also effect this.
5 > One of my mailboxes currently has 10,000 emails in, and it's still not showing
6 > any signs of becoming any slower.
7
8 As I mentioned, some accounts have hundreds of Mb of messages and a few
9 have > 1Gb of email in them...
10
11 > I imagine people's milage might vary with this kinda thing, but that post
12 > suggested all he changed was the mail server, not the file system, or
13 > anything else. (I presume he didn't - he installed them side by side)
14
15 Exactly.
16
17 Of course, I know, good performance begins with good hardware. Our servers
18 all use SCSI disks (U160 or better), some are RAIDed, some not.
19
20 > http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/ag.html
21 > "The Cyrus IMAP Aggregator transparently distributes IMAP and POP mailboxes
22 > across multiple servers. Unlike other systems for load balancing IMAP
23 > mailboxes, the aggregator allows users to access mailboxes on any of the IMAP
24 > servers in the system. "
25
26 You could do something similar by NFS mounting maildirs across a cluster.
32 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list