From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
To: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:44:05
1 On Thursday 11 August 2005 16:09, A. Khattri wrote:
2 > As I mentioned, some accounts have hundreds of Mb of messages and a few
3 > have > 1Gb of email in them...
4
5 That actually doesn't say anything about the number of messages though ;)
6
7 > Of course, I know, good performance begins with good hardware. Our servers
8 > all use SCSI disks (U160 or better), some are RAIDed, some not.
9
10 Indeed - this is why you can't really compare your experience with the once I
11 posted. He may well have been using rubbish hardware - but even if he wasn't,
12 the case remains this shows a vast improvement from cyrus over courier using
13 the same hardware.
14
15 > You could do something similar by NFS mounting maildirs across a cluster.
16
17 You can create multiple frontends with this - but you'll still have one NFS
18 server, or perhaps multiple NFS servers. You would have to create the logic
19 and system that allowed the frontend IMAP/POP3 server to select the correct
20 backend. Also, due to the fact that cyrus keeps advanced indexes, cyrus
21 can't operate over an NFS share. Courier doens't provide an 'out of the box'
22 method for creating a two-tiered scalable IMAP cluster... as far as I know.
23
24 I've seen this argument many times, on a mailing list I'm on the argument...
25 sorry, 'discussion' often occours, and it's nearly always courier vs cyrus,
26 and in this list community cyrus usually comes up top.
27
28 One day I think I'll setup a test system, and actaully run some benchmarks to
29 settle the dispute once and for all ;)
32 Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk