From: Scott Storck <l0ner@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] 1000Mbps NIC Getting 100Mbps speeds
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:28:19
1 > Verify duplex settings. That could be a possible cause.
2
3 As far as I know at gigabit speed, half duplex is not used.
4 Gigabit ethernet uses only full duplex.
5 At least I have never seen a switch or nic which can do 1000hdx.
6
7 > Just replaced the cable, no change. I'll be replacing the NIC with an
8 > identical one later.
9
10 If you are not getting the expected speeds, could it be your switch?
11 How fast is the backplane of your switch, and how many gigabit ports
12 does it have?
13
14 Some 100Mb switches with 24 or 32 ports have two gigabit ports which
15 make make up about half to one quarter of the expectable blackplane
16 bandwidth.
17 So, if there are other computers putting load on the switch, the
18 performance on the gigabit decreases.
19
20 Regards,
21 Scott
24 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list