From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] 1000Mbps NIC Getting 100Mbps speeds
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:06:44
1 fire-eyes wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 09:49 -0700, comsatcat wrote:
3 >
4 >>Perhaps try switching the nics if possible to rule out hardware
5 >>related
6 >>problems with the server? Try a different ethernet cable? Try a
7 >>completely different NIC all together?
10 > Just replaced the cable, no change. I'll be replacing the NIC with an
11 > identical one later.
12
13 Verify duplex settings. That could be a possible cause.
14
15 You report that your server has autonegotiated, and that's good, but
16 only if the other end of the cable autonegotiates as well. Failure to do
17 so will result in duplex mismatch. Some folks will try to force
18 (100Mbps/1000Mbps) speed and full duplex on one end and autonegotiate
19 the other end - you usually end up negotiating half-duplex. Either force
20 both, or negotiate both: preferably autonegotiate both.
21
22 I use 'ethtool' for checking that. If you have a managed switch, you can
23 check speed duplex of the interface there too. If not, assume it
24 autonegotiates as well.
25
26 DS
27 --