From: Luca Dell'Oca <lock@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Imaging software for a production server
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:35:00
1 Hi all,
2 I have a couple of gentoo servers that I cannot shutdown for
3 maintenance. In the past, I've used Acronis trueimage on my windows
4 machines in order to create images of the drives, and I love the fact I
5 do not need to shutdown the machine to create the image, and the image
6 can be saved on the same partition I'm ghosting.
7 I've tried several program for linux, but none of them seem to have the
8 same features: partimage can backup live systems, but it cannot create
9 the file on the same partition I'm ghosting and it creates different
10 files for every partition, and all the other softwares have their own
11 liveCD to boot from, but in this way I have to shutdown the server.
12
13 Acronis has a linux version of trueimage, but it needs X to run, and I
14 do not want to install it on a mail or web server, and gentoo is not
15 supported, so I think it could be a PITA to install it.
16
17 Any suggestion, maybe also some script able to copy also the mbr?
18
19 Thanks,
20 Luca, Italy
21 --