From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:45:09
1 We use IBM's Tivoli Storage Manager. Nice tool, simple install, and
2 works well. Just not free...quite the opposite.
3
4 jbw
5
6 Bryn Hughes wrote:
7
8 > Hi all,
9 >
10 > I'm wondering what everyone is using to back up their Gentoo servers.
11 > Right now I'm using Amanda which works fairly well but I'm thinking
12 > about changing over to something new.
13 >
14 > My environment:
15 > - 2 servers, about 120 gigs total disk space between them
16 > - a 75G (native) DLT tape library (Quantum 4500 with 15G tapes)
17 >
18 > What I like about amanda:
19 > - network backup, one server controls everything
20 > - point-in-time restore (I can choose to restore a file from last week
21 > and it will tell me what tape it needs)
22 > - decently reliable after initial setup
23 > - intelligent planning of incremental backups automatically
24 >
25 > What I don't like about amanda:
26 > - can't append to the previous day's tape (lots of tapes that only get
27 > 15% full or so with incrementals)
28 > - large dumps cannot span multiple tapes
29 > - handling of above results in amanda spending hours writing to a tape
30 > just to start all over again on the next tape when it runs out of space
31 > - no GUI
32 >
33 > I want to find something that uses my tapes more effectively and wastes
34 > less time than amanda. What I don't want to loose is the indexing
35 > functions and the ability to backup both my servers (and as many more as
36 > I add in the future) without having to actually mount the partitions to
37 > be backed up to the backup server.
38 >
39 > Anyone have any thoughts? I've been poking around and I've found BURT
40 > but that doesn't seem to have any activity since 1999 or so. Bacula
41 > looks promising also (in fact right now it seems to be the closest to
42 > what I'm looking for). Anyone have any experience?
43 >
44 > Bryn
45 >