From: Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:41:09
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm wondering what everyone is using to back up their Gentoo servers.
4 Right now I'm using Amanda which works fairly well but I'm thinking
5 about changing over to something new.
6
7 My environment:
8 - 2 servers, about 120 gigs total disk space between them
9 - a 75G (native) DLT tape library (Quantum 4500 with 15G tapes)
10
11 What I like about amanda:
12 - network backup, one server controls everything
13 - point-in-time restore (I can choose to restore a file from last week
14 and it will tell me what tape it needs)
15 - decently reliable after initial setup
16 - intelligent planning of incremental backups automatically
17
18 What I don't like about amanda:
19 - can't append to the previous day's tape (lots of tapes that only get
20 15% full or so with incrementals)
21 - large dumps cannot span multiple tapes
22 - handling of above results in amanda spending hours writing to a tape
23 just to start all over again on the next tape when it runs out of space
24 - no GUI
25
26 I want to find something that uses my tapes more effectively and wastes
27 less time than amanda. What I don't want to loose is the indexing
28 functions and the ability to backup both my servers (and as many more
29 as I add in the future) without having to actually mount the partitions
30 to be backed up to the backup server.
31
32 Anyone have any thoughts? I've been poking around and I've found BURT
33 but that doesn't seem to have any activity since 1999 or so. Bacula
34 looks promising also (in fact right now it seems to be the closest to
35 what I'm looking for). Anyone have any experience?
36
37 Bryn