From: Henrik Christensen <henrik.christensen@×××××.dk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: SV: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:55:20
1 I have been looking for something like bacula that could backup Windows
2 also, I have found another backup software Backuppc, but have not tried it.
3 It has a nice web interface, but I don't know if it is any good!
4
5 Take a look at it: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
6
7 Have any one had any experience with this backup software?
11 -----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
12 Fra: Bryn Hughes [mailto:linux@×××××××.ca]
13 Sendt: 22. marts 2004 18:41
14 Til: gentoo-server@l.g.o
15 Emne: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
16
17 Hi all,
18
19 I'm wondering what everyone is using to back up their Gentoo servers.
20 Right now I'm using Amanda which works fairly well but I'm thinking
21 about changing over to something new.
22
23 My environment:
24 - 2 servers, about 120 gigs total disk space between them
25 - a 75G (native) DLT tape library (Quantum 4500 with 15G tapes)
26
27 What I like about amanda:
28 - network backup, one server controls everything
29 - point-in-time restore (I can choose to restore a file from last week
30 and it will tell me what tape it needs)
31 - decently reliable after initial setup
32 - intelligent planning of incremental backups automatically
33
34 What I don't like about amanda:
35 - can't append to the previous day's tape (lots of tapes that only get
36 15% full or so with incrementals)
37 - large dumps cannot span multiple tapes
38 - handling of above results in amanda spending hours writing to a tape
39 just to start all over again on the next tape when it runs out of space
40 - no GUI
41
42 I want to find something that uses my tapes more effectively and wastes
43 less time than amanda. What I don't want to loose is the indexing
44 functions and the ability to backup both my servers (and as many more
45 as I add in the future) without having to actually mount the partitions
46 to be backed up to the backup server.
47
48 Anyone have any thoughts? I've been poking around and I've found BURT
49 but that doesn't seem to have any activity since 1999 or so. Bacula
50 looks promising also (in fact right now it seems to be the closest to
51 what I'm looking for). Anyone have any experience?
52
53 Bryn