From: "David H. Askew" <dhaskew@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Printserver for Windows Network wit Samba/CUPS
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:36:07
1 On Friday 19 August 2005 3:57 am, Witschel, Matthias, Infraserv-Hoechst/DE
2 wrote:
3 > Hi everybody!
4 >
5 > I have a question about the setup of a printserver using samba an cups. The
6 > goal is a central printserver for about 2000 users, managing something
7 > around 1500 Queues. Queues should be attached to clients without the need
8 > for local driver installation.
11 I am investigating a similar solution. Does anyone know how to get around
12 windows 2000's inability to handle more than a few hundred print queues? I've
13 got an application I'm trying to load balance, but in order to do so I have
14 to have every possible output destination ( printer ) defined on every
15 windows server in the application cluster. I'm gonna be offloading the
16 printing to a linux print server, but it appears that windows can only handle
17 so many print queues ....
18
19 ... anyone ever dealt with a similar issue?
20
21 > I have read the Gentoo howto for this and tested the procedure. Well it
22 > works fine but windows still wants to install a local printer driver. I
23 > remember reading about EMF support in ghostscript, so is there any way to
24 > configure samba to accept EMF data from the client (e.g. samba has to be
25 > configured to tell windows clients, that it can handle EMF)?
26 >
27 > Any experiences or suggestions?
28 >
29 > Matthias Witschel