From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] switch from syslog-ng to metalog
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:34:33
1 Hello,
2
3 I recently setup some gentoo boxes that had syslog-ng setup on them. Later I
4 decided to go with metalog because it was what I already had on all of my
5 servers. I actually need them all to be metalog now, but when I made the
6 switch I ran into problems.
7
8 Here's what I have done:
9 /etc/init.d/syslog-ng stop
10 rc-update del syslog-ng
11 emerge -vaC syslog-ng
12 emerge metalog
13 mv /var/log /var/log.syslog-ng
14 mkdir /var/log
15 /etc/init.d/metalog start
16 rc-update add metalog default
17
18 Now the problem is, occasionally (I'm not sure what the pattern is) I will
19 receive messages upon starting services:
20 * Caching service dependencies ...
21 * Service 'syslog-ng' already provided by 'logger'!;
22 * Not adding service 'metalog'... [ ok ]
23
24 And the other problem is that when looking
25 through /var/log/everything/current, I find that hardly anything is getting
26 logged anymore.
27
28 I couldn't really find much through google. Any ideas? Is there something
29 that I may have missed?
30
31 Thank you in advance :)
32