From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RE: Server Installation Strategy
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:10:30
1 If your only going to have one server you might want to think again
2 about using Gentoo. With production servers it is best to have a "build
3 server" that spins out binary packages (emerge -b) for installation on
4 your production servers (emerge -k or -g). See the earier discussion
5 "Gentoo Build Server".
6
7 jbw
8
9 Lancelot Mak wrote:
10
11 > Hi, all
12 >
13 > I am going to setup one gentoo server in a company. I choose
14 > gentoo due to its performance and flexibility and for sure claimed
15 > really free updates and its patches catch up quite fast since in source
16 > type.
17 >
18 > But I am just wondering how could you guys make the
19 > installation fast? Or you guys just do a normal installation? Another
20 > question, when updates or compiling some tools for the server, the cpu
21 > usage would be high. On the other hand, other processes may get slow
22 > down, any steps for minimizing slow down and performing updates at backend?
23 >
24 > I am just using gentoo for my notebook.
25 >
26 > My targeting machine is p3 celeron something with 64M ram and
27 > 40G hard disk. I know about GRP stuff. Is it a good strategy to install
28 > those GRP or pre-compiled stuff and carry out a world update after
29 > installation?
30 >
31 > Thanks for any suggestions.
35 > Lancelot