From: Lancelot Mak <lancelot@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] RE: Server Installation Strategy
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:28:54
1 Hi, all
2 I am going to setup one gentoo server in a company. I choose
3 gentoo due to its performance and flexibility and for sure claimed
4 really free updates and its patches catch up quite fast since in source
5 type.
6 But I am just wondering how could you guys make the
7 installation fast? Or you guys just do a normal installation? Another
8 question, when updates or compiling some tools for the server, the cpu
9 usage would be high. On the other hand, other processes may get slow
10 down, any steps for minimizing slow down and performing updates at
11 backend?
12 I am just using gentoo for my notebook.
13 My targeting machine is p3 celeron something with 64M ram and
14 40G hard disk. I know about GRP stuff. Is it a good strategy to install
15 those GRP or pre-compiled stuff and carry out a world update after
16 installation?
17 Thanks for any suggestions.
18
19 Lancelot