From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] an alternate firewall solution for Gentoo
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:09:09
1 From a server perspective, I have never been very happy with the way Gentoo
2 handles iptables. If you're not familiar with the Gentoo/iptables
3 solution, it basically uses an 'iptables-save' script to save your current
4 ruleset each time you /etc/init.d/iptables stop and/or reboot the box. The
5 next time iptables is started, it uses that saved state.
6
7 The reason I don't like this is because, often times when debugging, I'll
8 add a temporary iptables rule to see if that fixes the problem at hand.
9 Being human, I don't always remember to clean that rule out later. With
10 the current solution, this means that rule will always be there and will
11 survive reboots.
12
13 Instead, I much prefer a solution where the box starts from a known set of
14 rules that are hard-coded. You can still add ad-hoc iptables rules as
15 needed, but when you reboot the box, you'll be back to a "known-good"
16 state.
17
18 So, Andrea Barisani was kind enough to help write a new set of init scripts
19 and conf files that works this way. He and I have worked together to debug
20 them (though he's spent more time debugging my mistakes :) and I feel
21 pretty comfortable recommending them for production use. They're running
22 on three of Gentoo's infrastructure boxes and will soon be running on all
23 of them.
24
25 Documentation:
26 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/firewall/server-firewall.xml
27
28 Scripts:
29 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lcars/fw/
30
31 Note that those scripts do not make use of ulogd. If you're a ulogd user
32 like I am, some simple modifications to the init.d script will allow you to
33 use that instead of syslog.
34
35 Comments, questions and feedback are welcome. I'd also like to thank
36 Andrea for his hard work in writing these scripts.
37
38 --kurt