From: stephen white <steve@×××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: [gentoo-sysadmin] Re: master server and other ideas
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:37:43
1 On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 04:34 PM, Wade Mealing wrote:
2 > I think that the best idea right now, would be someone to write some
3 > documentation, on the basics of deploying the i.org theory in Gentoo
4 > linux, with a basic mockup of documentation and practices.
5
6 This is a good chance for me to whip out OmniGraffle and draw pretty
7 diagrams. :)
8
9 I said this on IRC, so for the mailing list... In my last job, I wrote
10 the code to implement the i.org concepts (wish I'd had the paper back
11 then!) and a lot of Gentoo portage already replicates that
12 functionality. I'm hoping that it is reasonably easy to make systems
13 out of meta-packages.
14
15 The general concept would be to do an "emerge servers/mail" which would
16 load in and build all the Gentoo packages you want and merge in
17 configuration files from CVS. These configuration files can be overlays
18 or scripts, usually a mixture of both with as much in scripts as
19 possible.
20
21 I can imagine this being done with an ebuild that has dependencies on a
22 long list of packages, and a few more Gentoo convenience functions for
23 the bit at the end where it connects and executes the scripts. Then
24 there's more work to capture the generated binaries for replication
25 across many machines (and architectures), capturing and storing source
26 and configurations in sync, and so on.
27
28 There's a range of things that need to be implemented, but each step is
29 straightforwards without major obstacles. This will be a good project
30 with rapid results though the polishing will take time! :)
33 steve@×××××××××××××××.au
34
35 CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
37 This email message is intended only for the addressee(s)
38 and contains information that may be confidential and/or
39 copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please
40 notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete
41 this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email
42 by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
43 prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
44 any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
45 recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.