From: Wade Mealing <wmealing@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-sysadmin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: [gentoo-sysadmin] Re: master server and other ideas
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:13:52
1 The infrastructures.org (i.org) paper is quite bold, and does bring up
2 some very interesting points. I believe that this direction is where
3 systems administration has to travel to become truely a engineering
4 profession.
5
6 Less stress, easier deployment and version tracking. These are the
7 fundamental elements of any good Systems administration job that I would
8 be looking for.
9
10 The i.org paper is very broad in regards to its system management, and
11 this is a good thing as its about general practices for any OS and not
12 specifically unix.
13
14 I think that the best idea right now, would be someone to write some
15 documentation, on the basics of deploying the i.org theory in Gentoo
16 linux, with a basic mockup of documentation and practices.
17
18 This is a small project in itself, but will clear up the posibilites and
19 start discussion on management of an infrastructure and not just a
20 single host.
21
22 > If the infrastructures.org paper has wetted your appetite, there is
23 > another paper on the same site that goes into detail about order of
24 > changes being important. The quick summary is that if you make changes
25 > to the system in X Y Z order, then you may not end up with the same
26 > system if you make those changes in Y X Z order. This, in a nutshell,
27 > is what's wrong with cfengine.