From: Steve Arnold <sarnold@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: master server and other ideas
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:44:03
1 On 30 Jul 2003 17:04:02 +1000
2 Wade Mealing <wmealing@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > The infrastructures.org (i.org) paper is quite bold, and does
5 > bring up some very interesting points. I believe that this
6 > direction is where systems administration has to travel to become
7 > truely a engineering profession.
8 >
9 > Less stress, easier deployment and version tracking. These are
10 > the fundamental elements of any good Systems administration job
11 > that I would be looking for.
12 >
13 > The i.org paper is very broad in regards to its system management,
14 > and this is a good thing as its about general practices for any OS
15 > and not specifically unix.
16 >
17 > I think that the best idea right now, would be someone to write
18 > some documentation, on the basics of deploying the i.org theory in
19 > Gentoo linux, with a basic mockup of documentation and practices.
20 >
21 > This is a small project in itself, but will clear up the
22 > posibilites and start discussion on management of an
23 > infrastructure and not just a single host.
24
25 Bingo.
26
27 This is what generated the Zope discussion, ie, the capabilities for
28 both free-form collaboration (ie, wiki-style) and structured, formal
29 (and version-controlled) shared documents.
30
31 Regardless of the collaboration platform (I like Zope, but as long
32 as the system isn't too irritating, I really don't care), I think
33 this is exactly the direction we need to go.
34
35 1) Group brainstorm an outline (in a wiki or something) of a Gentoo
36 application of the Infrastructures.org ideas, at least whichever
37 ones make sense. This would involve both process and procedures for
38 building and maintaining such an infrastructure. We could start
39 with a list of problems/pains we'd like to clean up :) Hey, that
40 sounds like requirements...
41
42 2) Flesh out the details in more detailed/structured documents,
43 eventually encompassing other distros and/or OSs.
44
45 3) Identify software needs (eg, scripts, modifications to existing
46 tools, and any new ones) and prioritize requirements. Distribute
47 tasking, etc.
48
49 It sounds like spoob (another Steve, what do you know :) has the
50 most experience with actually trying to implement something like
51 this, but I'm sure we all have experiences and associated ideas,
52 yada yada...
53
54 So as soon as we have a dedicated platform (Zope, the gentoo dev
55 stuff, whatever) we can start fleshing out an outline. Yeah? I
56 don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm totally ready for
57 something like this (I could have used it starting Saturday
58 morning...). I can't wait to start a test-bed here; I have almost
59 enough hardware for a couple of nice little servers.
60
61 Of course, I'll just have to fit this into my copious free time -
62 anybody got a time-dilation machine?
63
64 Steve -> nerdboy
68 Stephen L. Arnold
69 Senior Scientist email: arnold.steve@×××××.com
70 ENSCO, Inc. www: http://www.ensco.com
71 2325 Skyway Dr, Suite E voice: 805.925.9913
72 Santa Maria, CA 93455 fax: 805.925.9934
73
74 with Std.Disclaimer; use Std.Disclaimer;