From: thaunderdog@×××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Building binary packages
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 04:28:08
1 MIkey wrote:
2 > Thomas Schreiner wrote:
5 >>That's why I was planning to build a binary package for mysql-4.1 on a
6 >>second host in order to install it on my production server, but I could
7 >>not find a list of common pitfalls to consider while building packages
8 >>for a different host. These are the things that I can think of so far:
11 > This is the only way I do packaging - I build all binary packages in a
12 > chroot on the fastest box I can get my hands on. In other words I use a
13 > pentium4 workstation to build binaries for my PIII's, PII's, etc...
14 >
15 > If you are interested the system I use is at:
16 >
17 > http://badpenguins.com/source/gentoo-buildhoster
18 >
19 > You can download the ebuild and stick it in an overlay. There is a sample
20 > tutorial.
23 What would be an appropriate build machine for compiling binaries for a
24 vast range of sub-architectures, including different CHOSTs? I've read
25 that catalyst "supports the ability to build x86 architecture stages on
26 amd64 systems." [1] Not strictly speaking using catalyst to accomplish
27 this in anyway, but I don't see why we can't perform the same actions
28 inside a chroot.
29
30 Is cross compiling a Pentium3 environment inside a chroot on an Opteron
31 safe? What about a 486? Is this logic [2] correct?
32
33 Granted, I'm strictly speaking of x86 based architectures here, and not
34 asking if catalyst is the way to go but the manual chroot method
35 mentioned. What about building in 32bit chroots on a 64bit systems,
36 should this be like for like?
39 Cheers
42 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/
43 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/faq.xml