From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] UTC vs. localtime
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:00:09
1 Hello list,
2
3 I just recently switched a few of my servers of to UTC from localtime due to
4 an new application deployment relying on UTC time. I am now having problems
5 with this as the real time is not reflected. I also made these changes to
6 gentoo running in usermode linux on one of the machines, and it is now doubly
7 off.
8
9 I have NTP setup and running on all of these machines, and the TZ environment
10 variable is not set. And, the time would be accurate, if I was on the
11 equater; I am not.
12
13 This is what I changed:
14 /etc/conf.d/clock: CLOCK="UTC"
15 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC
16 It was:
17 /etc/conf.d/clock: CLOCK="local"
18 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/<my timezone>
19
20 I have another machine that does reflect the proper time, and it is set as
21 follows:
22 /etc/conf.d/clock: CLOCK="UTC"
23 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/<my timezone>
24
25 At this point, I am a little confused. These are production systems, and I
26 wanted to ask before I just go trying things. Is it possible that I just
27 need to set the clock? If so, does that mean ntpclient and ntpd either
28 haven't been doing their job, or their syncing to the wrong timezone?
29
30 I appreciate the help. :)
31
32 Robert