From: Mark Rudholm <rudholm@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Portage Maintenance
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:31:57
1 On Monday 06 September 2004 21:29, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Mark Rudholm wrote:
3 > > Is it just me, or is Portage getting out of date in a lot of areas.
4 > > I keep finding that it is months out of date on software that I use.
5 > > For example, OpenVPN's latest stable release, v1.6.0 came out on May 9,
6 > > yet portage is still at 1.5.0-r1 (masked or not). The 2.0_beta releases
7 > > are nowhere to be found. KDE 3.3 is also not masked. Postfix 2.1 took a
8 > > while to show up in Portage...
9 > >
10 > > I also noticed that the GWN wasn't posted to the Gentoo website last week
11 > > (or this).
12 > >
13 > > Should I be concerned?
14 >
15 > Nope, not at all. Just remember that all of the Gentoo developers are
16 > volunteers. They work on this stuff in their spare time. If you want a
17 > newer version of a particular program in the portage tree, write an ebuild
18 > yourself and submit it via bugs.gentoo.org.
19
20 OK, well, we can skip the OSS primer, I think we all know what the community
21 is about and how it works. What I'm concerned about is that Portage seems to
22 be slipping, and that not enough people/developers are contributing new
23 ebuilds. To draw an analogy, I can vote, but that doesn't really solve the
24 problem of low voter turnout. FreeBSD's Ports is also user-maintained and it
25 seems far more current. Has something changed? It didn't seem to be so out
26 of date before.
27
28 -Mark