From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Portage Maintenance
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:52:38
1 Mark Rudholm wrote:
2 > On Monday 06 September 2004 21:29, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>Mark Rudholm wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Is it just me, or is Portage getting out of date in a lot of areas.
7 >>>I keep finding that it is months out of date on software that I use.
8 >>>For example, OpenVPN's latest stable release, v1.6.0 came out on May 9,
9 >>>yet portage is still at 1.5.0-r1 (masked or not). The 2.0_beta releases
10 >>>are nowhere to be found. KDE 3.3 is also not masked. Postfix 2.1 took a
11 >>>while to show up in Portage...
12 >>>
13 >>>I also noticed that the GWN wasn't posted to the Gentoo website last week
14 >>>(or this).
15 >>>
16 >>>Should I be concerned?
17 >>
18 >>Nope, not at all. Just remember that all of the Gentoo developers are
19 >>volunteers. They work on this stuff in their spare time. If you want a
20 >>newer version of a particular program in the portage tree, write an ebuild
21 >>yourself and submit it via bugs.gentoo.org.
22 >
23 > OK, well, we can skip the OSS primer, I think we all know what the community
24 > is about and how it works. What I'm concerned about is that Portage seems to
25 > be slipping, and that not enough people/developers are contributing new
26 > ebuilds. To draw an analogy, I can vote, but that doesn't really solve the
27 > problem of low voter turnout. FreeBSD's Ports is also user-maintained and it
28 > seems far more current. Has something changed? It didn't seem to be so out
29 > of date before.
30
31 The size of the portage tree is growing faster than the number of devs that are
32 around to maintain it. When I first started using Gentoo in February 2003, there
33 were only ~30,000 files in the Portage tree. Currently, there are 80,000+ files.
34 I could be wrong, but I don't believe there has been a 3x jump in developers to
35 go along with that. Volunteer your own time and become a developer.
38 Andrew Gaffney
39 Network Administrator
40 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
41 636-357-1548