From: Mu Qiao <qiaomuf@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Progress of NetworkManager Plug-in 2010.05.20
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:25:17
1 On 06/26/2010 08:01 PM, Nikoli wrote:
2 > В сообщении от 26 июня 2010 08:37:35 автор Mu Qiao написал:
3 >> On 06/25/2010 09:08 PM, Nikoli wrote:
4 >>>>> Have PPTP implemented yet?
5 >>>>
6 >>>> PPTP is part of VPN which /etc/conf.d/net does not support to configure.
7 >>>
8 >>> Actually it supports PPTP. Example config in attachment.
9 >>
10 >> I've seen your attachment and I guess it is an example to configure ppp
11 >> connection over pptp. But it's not the one configuring pptp itself. What
12 >> do you think?
13 >
14 > I think you did not read /usr/portage/net-dialup/pptpclient/pptpclient-1.7.2-
15 > r2.ebuild :
16 > "
17 > DEPEND="net-dialup/ppp
18 > dev-lang/perl
19 > tk? ( dev-perl/perl-tk )"
20 > RDEPEND="${DEPEND}
21 > sys-apps/iproute2"
22 > "
23 > and 'man pptp':
24 > "
25 > By default, pptp establishes the PPTP call to the PPTP server, and then starts
26 > an instance of pppd to manage the data transfer. However, pptp can also be run
27 > as a connection manager within pppd.
28 > "
29 > In other words pptp works only in conjunction with pppd. My example configures
30 > pptp:
31 > 'pptp ppp.lan --nolaunchpppd --nobuffer --loglevel 0'
32 >
33 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_PPTP_Internet - good howto
34 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PPTP - not so good, in Gentoo we do not need to
35 > touch anything in /etc/ppp/
36 >
37 > P.S. Thank you for your work! Native support of Gentoo configs in NM is must-
38 > have feature.
42 Well, you're right. I've go through the links you listed and I agree
43 that pptp could be implemented. But as far as I know, NM supports vpnc,
44 openvpn and pptp by an unified way. I think it would be confusing to
45 users if we only supported one of them. Think about it, it's a little
46 mess(different configuration files, don't know which one is supported,
47 etc.). Meanwhile, currently it is very easy to make a VPN connection. I
48 don't see a strong need to support it by our plug-in especially when it
49 may involve the mess.
50
51 So in my opinion, If we could support vpnc, openvpn and pptp, it's worth
52 implementing. Certainly, if you have better idea, please tell me :-).
55 Cheers,
56 Mu Qiao
57 GnuPG fingerprint: 92B1 B0C4 8D14 F8C4 EFA5 3ACC 30B3 0DE4 17B1 57E9