From: Mu Qiao <qiaomuf@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Progress of NetworkManager Plug-in 2010.05.20
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 01:18:27
1 On 06/26/2010 10:21 PM, Nikoli wrote:
2 > В сообщении от 26 июня 2010 17:25:09 автор Mu Qiao написал:
3 >> Well, you're right. I've go through the links you listed and I agree
4 >> that pptp could be implemented. But as far as I know, NM supports vpnc,
5 >> openvpn and pptp by an unified way. I think it would be confusing to
6 >> users if we only supported one of them. Think about it, it's a little
7 >> mess(different configuration files, don't know which one is supported,
8 >> etc.). Meanwhile, currently it is very easy to make a VPN connection. I
9 >> don't see a strong need to support it by our plug-in especially when it
10 >> may involve the mess.
11 >>
12 >> So in my opinion, If we could support vpnc, openvpn and pptp, it's worth
13 >> implementing. Certainly, if you have better idea, please tell me :-).
14 >
15 > Ideally plugin should work so:
16 > 1) install gentoo
17 > 2) install NM+plugin
18 > 3) configure networks
19 > 4) after rebooting all network connections work fine even if NM failed to start
20 > or is completely removed.
21 >
22 > Gentoo supports vpnc and openvpn with /etc/conf.d/net and /etc/init.d/vpnc (
23 > /etc/init.d/openvpn ) + /etc/vpnc/ (/etc/openvpn/), so you can add support for
24 > them:
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/vpnc-howto.xml
26 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/OpenVPN
27 >
28 > But this may require much work and in worst case may cause some code
29 > duplication.
30
31 Yes, that's right. This plug-in has already involved several unplanned
32 configuration files such as dhcpcd. It will become too complicated if we
33 deal with too many files. But if it's worth implementing, I'll still do
34 it. So I'll think about it after midterm evaluation.
35
36 > Seems plugin also does not support GPRS (EDGE), do you plan to add it?
37
38 I'm not sure whether I can do it since I think GPRS is supported in a
39 totally different way. As far as I know, the plug-in can not handle
40 this. This is where the modem manager kicks in.
43 Cheers,
44 Mu Qiao
45 GnuPG fingerprint: 92B1 B0C4 8D14 F8C4 EFA5 3ACC 30B3 0DE4 17B1 57E9